Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Are You Ready for some (dropped) Football?
By Zach

Ah yes, it's that time of year again, time for football training camp.

After swearing off the Seahawks for good after last year's multiple debacles (any time they played St. Louis, for example), I tended to ignore the team over the offseason. The Sonics were playing well, the Huskies were playing well, and so I really didn't care. Yeah, they finally signed Walter Jones to a long-term deal, and Matt Hasselbeck(personal favorite) re-signed as well, but so what. They had these guys the last few years, and they always managed to choke when the pressure was on. More to the point, they didn't do the one thing that would have really got me to pay attention: fire Mike Holmgren. Or failing that, mount Ray Rhodes' bloody head on a pike outside of team headquarters as a warning to future defensive coordinators that you do not blitz on third and nine!

Even the Shaun Alexander "I'm under contract but might hold out or I might not or I might cure cancer or mutate into a lobster" nonsense barely registered on my radar, despite the fact that the Mariners suck. I'm glad he's back, since he's only one of the best running backs in the league, but again, he was here last year and (let's say it again), they still choked under pressure.

So today, we started hearing the stories out of camp about how the team is playing hard, how they've got so much talent, how they've all learned so much from the adversity and are ready to make "the next step" this year. Please. Will I watch the team. Probably. Will I still wear my Matt Hasselbeck jersey on Sundays. Probably. Do I still want them to win the Super Bowl. Sure. But I'm not getting fooled again.

1 Comments:

Blogger Blogger said...

I laughed out loud twice: YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT FIGHT CLUB! AND YOU DO NOT BLITZ ON THIRD AND NINE!

And... I might cure cancer or mutate into a lobster or play foosball for the next six months or build a Lego re-creation of the Chicago skyline...

5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<body>