Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Business Dinner
By Zach

I don't usually write about my own life, but I figured I might break with tradition.

I headed down to SoHo for a book reading featuring two of the best sports books I've read in recent memory, Will Blythe's To Hate Like This Is To Be Happy Forever, and Sam Walker's Fantasyland. Both are fantastic books, well worth your time and money. But that wasn't really the point of this post.

Much of the time between and after readings I spent chatting with a couple of people you might know, Dan Shanoff of ESPN.com fame (the Daily Quickie, mostly) and Will Leitch, the man behind Deadspin. Both were awesome to me, and didn't treat me as any sort of inferior specimen (which I clearly am). We had a wide-ranging conversation about things like why Bill Simmons will have to start writing about NASCAR, why Will couldn't get on Cold Pizza, and where Roger Clemens will end up pitching this year (we agreed that the funniest scenario would be Boston, where he could choke away games against the Yankees just for fun).

The sports media is changing. People want more access, but they also want more personality. They don't want to read an objective recitation of facts, they want to hear a fan's take. That's what we try and provide here at Sportszilla, and it's certainly what Will and Dan provide.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

<body>